New know-how for Berlin-based companies
With qualified university and college graduates, you can get ahead with new projects and expand know-how at your company. On behalf of Berlin's Senate Department, IBB provides grants to cover personnel costs and so promote the hiring of innovation assistants in Berlin.
'Berliner Innovationsfachkräfte' at a glance
Grants for hiring university and college graduates
Up to 50% of wage costs, EUR 20,000 max. for one year
Improving the company's competitive strength
Two innovation assistants can be hired at the same time
'Berliner Innovationsfachkräfte' in detail
Who is eligible for support?
- Technology-orientated, legally independent, profit-orientated small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) who develop their own products, processes or services and in doing so perform the main steps of development themselves.
- SMEs that are not technology-orientated are eligible if the project in which the innovation assistant is to be involved and his or her activities have major technology links and also involve an in-house development component to a significant extent.
Applicants must have at least one facility in Berlin.
What is supported?
Innovative projects which are implemented within the scope of qualified, new employment contracts to be entered into with graduates from universities, universities of applied sciences or institutions offering similar, state-recognised qualifications.
The new employment contract must be for an innovative type of job for the company. The employee to be financed should not replace any other employee in the company. The job created must be for a newly created position or in a new sphere of responsibility.
What kind of support is available?
Support for companies is provided as non-redeemable grants for project-based employment of qualified graduates from universities/ universities of applied science.
Terms and conditions
- Grants total up to 50% of the innovation assistant's gross taxable salary. Maximum salary costs of EUR 40,000 are taken into account, so that support is limited to EUR 20,000.
- The subsidy term totals 12 months.
- Grants are provided as de-minimis assistance.
How to apply
- The application must be submitted to Investitionsbank Berlin before the employment contract is signed.
- In order to apply, submit the completed application form along with the supporting documents (see checklist (german only)). You can apply online using the application process provided on IBB’s customer portal. Alternatively, you can download your completed application form and send this by post or submit it in person.
What happens after the application has been submitted?
- The processing time depends on the quality of your application documents and whether they are complete. Once we have received all the required documents, you can expect to receive an answer within 6 to 8 weeks. IBB decides on support at its due discretion and within the scope of the funds available.
- If you receive a positive answer, IBB's approval notice is valid for three months. The employment contract must be signed within this period of time.
Please contact us at the earliest possible date. Our Customer Centre will be pleased to answer detailed questions regarding the programme and assist you with your application.
Please note: Applications are accepted in German only.
Other important details
How many innovation assistants can be supported at the same time?
Two innovation assistants can be supported at the same time, each for a period of twelve months.
There is no further limitation on the number of applications. Previously funded employment contracts and their development are taken into account in the decision on further funding.
To complete our new software product we urgently need a second employee to support us. Can we receive funding for this?
No. A lack of capacity among existing employees does not justify any entitlement to funding. Employment contracts for the purpose of implementing a new project at the company are eligible for funding.
For what period of time must the employment contract be concluded?
The programme supports the creation of long-term jobs. Therefore, the aim is to make and enter into permanent employment contracts. Temporary contracts must be concluded for at least 24 months.
Can we also apply for grants for a new part-time job?
Full-time and part-time jobs are eligible for funding. However, in the case of part-time jobs, the actual working time must be at least 50% of a full-time job.
When will the approved funding be paid out?
The personnel cost grant is paid retroactively and, in principle, quarterly. To receive payment, an informal call for payment as well as proof of the corresponding proper salary payment must be submitted.
Is it possible to hire a new employee even before the grant application has been approved?
Employment contracts that were concluded before the application was received by Investitionsbank Berlin (IBB) are excluded from funding.
As soon as IBB has received your funding application, you can hire a person who meets the terms and conditions for support at your own financial risk. This does not entitle you to the funding requested.
We generally recommend that you wait at least for confirmation that your grant application has been received.
Does the workplace have to be located at our Berlin facility?
Yes, the main workplace must be in Berlin. Work-related assignment outside Berlin is possible, provided that this does not exceed 50% of the annual working time.
I just recently set up a technology-oriented company. Can I apply for an innovation assistant grant for one of my new employees?
In principle, newly established companies can also apply for funding.
Do you wish to combine support programmes?
Combination with personnel-cost grants under other job-centre programmes and measures is not permitted.