'Berlin Innovativ' at a glance
Loans to finance projects by innovative companies
Up to EUR 2m at a low interest rate
IBB provides the applicant’s bank with a 70% exemption from liability
Flexible terms ranging from three to ten years
'Berlin Innovativ' in detail
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- Smaller mid-caps (medium-sized companies with fewer than 500 employees)
- Freelance professionals
with an operating facility or registered office in Berlin and who meet one of the specified innovation criteria.
- Project financing
- Investments, e.g. property, machines/equipment and material stocks
- Working capital
- Pre-financing for orders
- Internationalisation projects (with a Berlin effect)
The form and extent of collateral are agreed upon between the borrower and his bank.
- Loan amount: typically EUR 100,000 to EUR 2m
- 100% paid out
- IBB grants the borrower's bank 70% liability redemption
- Payments are effected each quarter and in arrears
Liability redemption is made possible via the InnovFin SME guarantee, a facility backed under the Horizon 2020 Programme of the European Union (Framework Programme for Research and Innovation) as well as the European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI) set up under the Investment Plan for Europe. The EFSI aims to secure the financing and implementation of productive investments in the European Union and to improve access to financing.
- You should submit your application to your own bank with reference to IBB's 'Berlin Innovativ' programme. Your application should include the required documents. Please use our checklist (german only) and the application form (german only) to complete your application.
- Your bank will finance your project up to 100%. The decision as to whether the loan will be granted is made by the applicant's bank on the basis of a credit assessment and collateral check. If this check is positive, the bank approves the loan on the application form and passes the documents on to IBB.
- Due to the 70% exemption from liability for the applicant's bank, IBB also performs a credit assessment. If the result is positive, IBB can approve the loan. We will then contact you.
Please contact us at the earliest possible date. Our Customer Centre will be pleased to answer detailed questions regarding the programme and assist you with your application.
Please note: Applications are accepted in German only.
Due to the partial exemption from liability for your bank, IBB also determines the creditworthiness of the final borrower and prepares a financing commitment for the principal bank. The principal bank can then pass on the decision in favour of financing to the customer.
The loan will be refinanced at a low interest rate from IBB funds with a partial counter-guarantee under the EU's InnovFin programme. The borrower's creditworthiness and the quality of the collateral are reflected in seven price categories. The loan is granted with a customer-specific interest rate within the scope of the maximum interest rate in the respective price class. Exemption from liability does not lead to an increase in the interest rate. The latest interest rates can be found in the overview of terms and conditions.
- The loan is paid back after a grace period in equal quarterly instalments.
- During the grace period, only the interest on the loan amount is repaid.
- Early repayment of all or part of the outstanding loan amount is possible, however, a prepayment penalty will be charged.
A company rating from a third party is not required for an application. During loan negotiations, the company is rated by the borrower's own bank and by IBB. The rating result (assessment of the company's creditworthiness) and the intrinsic value of the collateral provided form the basis for the interest rate charged by the borrower's bank.
Projects for export-related activities, i.e. projects directly linked to the quantities exported, to the establishment and operation of a distribution network or to other current export-related expenditure, are not eligible.
Financing is not available to cover the cost of participating in trade fairs, carrying out studies or using consultancy services to launch a new or existing product on a new market.
Projects by Berlin-based companies outside Berlin can be financed provided that they secure long-term competitiveness and the long-term preservation of Berlin as a business location (Berlin effect).
Company takeovers can be financed if new capital amounting to at least 50% of the loan amount is additionally injected.
The assessment of an innovation project (see first innovation criterion in the brochure) can be carried out by any private or public body that is independent of the company, including the company’s principal bank, as long as there is a professional assessment of the technical or market risk of the project to be financed.
This programme can be combined with other support programmes within the scope of the EU's limits for grants.
Individual coaching by IBB
As an option, we can also provide you with subsidised coaching on all management issues via our 'Coaching BONUS' offered by IBB Business Team GmbH.