'KMU-Fonds' at a glance
Loans of up to EUR 250,000 to finance start-up and growth
Loans of up to EUR 10 million to finance company takeovers, growth and to pre-finance contracts (granted in co-operation with customer’s own bank)
Attractive interest rates
No handling fee
Term of up to 20 years with flexible repayment terms
'KMU-Fonds' in detail
Financing for start-ups
- Founders of small or medium-sized commercial businesses (SMEs)
- Founders of freelance businesses
- Commercial or freelance businesses that have been on the market for no more than 5 years
who are opening or have an operating facility in Berlin.
Financing for growth
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the commercial industries
- Freelance professionals
with an operating facility in Berlin.
Under the SME fund, investment and the related operating equipment can be co-financed within the scope of the following measures:
- Start-ups and consolidation projects
- Company takeovers, however, not between first-degree family members
- Relocation or expansion
- Rationalisation and reinvestment measures
- Pre-financing of specific contracts (including the related operating equipment) for existing companies
The project to be financed must be carried out at a Berlin-based operating facility.
What is not eligible for support?
- Re-financing and follow-up financing of projects that have already begun or have been completed
- Investments in companies in difficulty
- Investments in companies operating in the following sectors: agriculture, fisheries, aquaculture, coal, mining and tobacco
On behalf of the Senate Department responsible, IBB grants:
- Start-up and growth loans of up to EUR 250,000, also as direct loans
- Growth loans of up to EUR 10 million for companies that have been operating on the market for more than five years
Financing for SMEs in excess of EUR 25,000 is primarily provided together with a commercial bank (applicant’s bank) or a private co-financer.
- The loans have a term of 20 years max., grace periods (years) can be agreed to.
- Although 100% financing is possible with the “SME fund”, the applicant is typically required to bear a share in order to ensure the viability of the project.
- Interest rate is payable at market rates.
- The terms and conditions of syndicated loans are agreed to with the applicant's bank.
- Commitment interest is agreed to at the customary rate, beginning three months after the date of approval, for loan amounts not yet paid out.
Applications must be submitted prior to commencing the project (for example, first binding order, conclusion of a purchase agreement, commencement of the innovation project, etc.).
Financing without the involvement of the applicant’s bank (loans of up to EUR 250,000)
- Please apply using our application form and the Required documents information brochure. Alternatively, you can also submit your application online at www.ibb.de/kundenportal.
- Once your application is received, you will be sent confirmation of receipt. As soon as all the documents are complete, they will be examined.
Financing with the involvement of the applicant’s bank
You should submit your (informal) application to your own bank with reference to the 'KMU-Fonds' of Investitionsbank Berlin.
You should then consult your bank regarding any other documents and information that may be needed. These should generally be the same documents and information referred to in the application form for direct loans.
If your bank is willing to approve the loan, it will apply to us for co-financing under the 'KMU-Fonds'.
If we too approve your application, you will receive a loan agreement from your bank.
Please contact us at the earliest possible date. Our Customer Centre will be pleased to answer detailed questions regarding the programme and assist you with your application.
Please note: Applications are accepted in German only.
The most important precondition for granting loans is the submission of a tenable business concept showing how such concept can achieve the sustainable establishment or improvement of your company's competitiveness and how the loan and interest is to be repaid. You will also be required to submit a proposal for collateral. A key criterion for granting loans continues to be the guarantee of sufficient business expertise. This can also be secured through external coaching.
The loan must be secured with customary collateral. In the case of companies with limited liability, the shareholders/managing directors of the borrower company who, due to their position as shareholders have a major influence on the company, must also issue an absolute guarantee. In the case of limited partnerships, this is also required by the limited partners who have a major influence on the company. In the case of syndicated financing, collateral is managed by the principal bank, otherwise by us.
Financing will be rejected if negative indicators are found regarding the founder/shareholder or company (negative Schufa entries not removed, tax debts payable, judicial dunning proceedings, the making of an affidavit due to payment arrears, ongoing company insolvency or private insolvency proceedings).
- Repayment is effected in equal quarterly instalments.
- Premature repayment in part or in full is generally not foreseen. In the event of premature repayment of the loan, the end borrower will be charged a prepayment penalty.
- In the case of syndicated loans, the final details of repayment are agreed to via the principal bank
If you are in arrears with your payments, this will lead to interest on arrears in accordance with the contract, possibly also to notice of termination with a prepayment penalty and possibly to recourse to collateral.
Insolvency will lead to termination with a prepayment penalty and, if necessary, liquidation of collateral. In the case of syndicated financing, the default conditions are laid down in the contract as agreed with the principal bank.
After completion of the project, proof of the contractual use of the loan must be furnished within 6 months on a separate form. Deviations of more than 20% per item from the contractually agreed project planning must be agreed in advance with Investitionsbank. In the event that proof of proper use of the loan cannot be furnished, IBB will e entitled to recover the loan in part or in full.
It is possible to combine a loan from the 'KMU-Fonds' with business development measures by the federal government, the federal state and the European Union.
A guarantee for the principal bank share issued by BBB Bürgschaftsbank zu Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH can also be applied for in an integrated application procedure.
BBB Bürgschaftsbank zu Berlin-Brandenburg can provide guarantees if sufficient bank guarantees cannot be provided.